Monday, September 26, 2011

identity theft


            While watching t.v. today the catchy advertisement for freecreditreport.com popped up on my television and it got me thinking in detail about identity theft. After completing the quiz about what I know about identity theft, I was dismayed to find out I knew very little about it. However, after attending a class on identity theft I feel confident that my knowledge has improved and I feel as though I can relate this new knowledge to the new invention that I have created.
            When I first learned about identity theft I second guessed my invention for it did release personal information, such as the location of my phone, however after much consideration I do not find this invention to be high risk for identity theft. The steps that are supposed to be taken in order to avoid identity theft is no debit cards, no social security number, don’t provide bank account or credit card info unless forced, check monthly statements, do not bring a lot in you wallet, don’t write down passwords, shred everything that has account numbers, do not show personasl infor on the web, and monitor your credit card. My invention which tweets the location of the phone, does disclose personal information however, one is not able to steal your identity if they only have the location of the phone.
            Worst case scenario is that someone is able to obtain the phone, if one puts the right blockage on the phone this will not be a problem. First, everyone should back up all information to the computer because once on the computer it is almost impossible for something to be fully deleted. Then one should set the phone to delete all information if locked and the password guessed 10 times therefore preventing someone from hacking your phone. Your password should be something that can not be easily guessed, such as password or your name. If one follows these steps then your identity being stolen is not even a thought.   

No comments:

Post a Comment